PRC - Household Chemical Collections
Since 2003, Pennsylvania Resources Council has hosted Household Chemical Collection Events in Southwestern Pennsylvania. The events are restricted to household quantities of Household Chemicals. If you have materials generated by a business or other commercial source, please contact the PRC for assistance.
Follow the link to the PRC’s Household Chemical Collection events information page for complete details and list of events.
Follow the link to the PRC’s webpage for information on Household Hazardous Waste – Safe & Healthy Living.
Please Note: All Household Chemical Collection events are held on Saturdays April through October, 9 am – 1 pm, rain or shine.
PROCEDURES & FEE STRUCTURE
- Registration Required
- $20 fee for up 10 gallons/50 lbs per vehicle assessed on all participants*
- All forms of payment accepted
- All items MUST be placed in car trunk or truck bed
- Remain in your vehicle at all times while contractor unloads materials
* Oversized loads will be subject to additional charges at the discretion of on-site staff. See Accepted Materials & Associated Cost section for details or email email@example.com with questions.
Accepted Materials & Associated Cost
$20* fee covers disposal or the following materials (up 10 gallons/50 lbs. per vehicle):
- Aerosol cans
- Automotive fluids (e.g., motor oil, transmission fluid, antifreeze, kerosene, brake fluid)
- Batteries & Camp fuel/small propane bottles
- Chemistry sets & Compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs: bulbs only- we do not accept fluorescent tubes)
- Gasoline and kerosene
- Household cleaners (ammonia, drain openers, acid cleaners, oven cleaners)
- Mercury thermometers
- Paint products (latex, oil based, alkyd based, arts/crafts chemicals, rust preservatives, creosote, water sealers, paint thinners, furniture strippers)
- Pesticides/garden (rodent killers, insecticides, weed killers, mothballs, fertilizer)
- Photo & Pool chemicals & Smoke Detectors
*ADDITIONAL FEES: $12 per fire extinguisher; $15 per pound of liquid mercury
Please note that we cannot accept any of these items in leaky containers.
Tip: To avoid spills and damage to your vehicle, never put leaky containers into your car. If possible, transfer materials to a new container. Preserve the label and place in a zippered plastic bag to keep with replacement container. If you can’t transfer the material, you can isolate the leaky item by placing it in a zippered plastic bag, plastic bucket, etc.
EXAMPLES OF AMOUNT OF MATERIAL ACCEPTED FOR $20:
*OVERSIZED LOADS will be subject to additional charges at the discretion of on-site staff.
Materials NOT Accepted
- Commercial and industrial waste
- Compressed gas cylinders (large grill/medical)
- Fluorescent tubes
- Leaking containers
- Medical waste (including needles and sharps)
- Prescription or non-prescription drugs
- PCBs and dioxins
- Radioactive materials
PRC strives to keep the cost of these services as affordable as possible. Fees charged to event participants cover less than 25% of the programs cost. The remaining costs are supported by the State of PA, County Government sponsors, and through grants from charitable foundations and contributors.